Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Irish Gospel?

I'm often surprised (and always amazed at God's hand in the world!) to discover a growing gospel music community in another country. I'm curious about how the music travels, and in what forms. For example, I always want to know if these new gospel lovers sing the spirituals, or if they are influenced by more contemporary forms of the genre. I'm also interested in figuring out if people are interested primarily in the sound of the music, or in the message it carries.

Writer Denis John Burke explores some of these issues through interviews with members of several gospel choirs in Ireland. The healing music of slaves' progeny is now part of God's healing work among disillusioned young Catholics. I'll weigh in later with some specifics from the article, but in the meantime, I'm glad to read this good and very interesting news.

No comments: