Friday, October 07, 2005

The Gospel


Let me add myself to the chorus of voices that are encouraging gospel music lovers to go see The Gospel this weekend. I liked the film. Although it's being compared to other recent films starring African-Americans, I think it's far superior to Diary of a Mad Black Woman and has broader appeal than Woman, Thou Art Loosed. And unlike The Fighting Temptations, it doesn't treat church, faith and church folk like jokes or caricatures. It's a movie about a church, but it didn't feel "churchy" to me. The gospel music performances are cool, but they don't interfere with the story. And I like the way church and faith are treated, for the most part. But you can read my thoughts here, and add your own in the comments section.

I've been a bit surprised by the tone of some of the other reviews I've read. Many of the movie critics I've read seem to have thought the movie was about gospel music, rather than about the gospel story. The writers didn't seem to have much knowledge of the church, church people, or the story of the prodigal son.

It's true, the movie isn't perfect, but I think it's very good, and one worth supporting. I don't usually say things like that, but I encourage you to go see it. And go this weekend, so there will be a big opening weekend impact. Seriously. Stop reading now. Go see the movie. Take some friends or your church group. Shoo.

Here's the movie's official website.

No comments: