Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Take 6 Loves Ella

Tonight, We Love Ella: A Tribute to the First Lady of Song premieres on PBS' Great Performances. Check your local listings to find out when the program airs in your area.

The concert, recorded in April 2007 (Fitzgerald would have celebrated her 90th birthday this year) features performers including Patti Austin, Natalie Cole, George Duke, Jon Faddis, Quincy Jones, Dave Koz, Ledisi, Monica Mancini, James Moody, Ruben Studdard, Take 6, Nancy Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Lizz Wright, and Wynonna.

Take 6 performed "How High the Moon" with Patti Austen, and, from last year's Feels Good, "Just In Time." I love tribute albums/programs, and, because I love Ella Fitzgerald and jazz, I'd be interested in this program, even if Take 6 hadn't been part of the event. A few years ago, I taped one of my favorite Fitzgerald quotes to my computer monitor:

“Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong.”

Amen.

P.S. Speaking of cool tributes, Imani Winds, my favorite wind quintet is releasing a Josephine Baker tribute album in a couple of weeks.

No comments: