Sunday, January 01, 2006

Harmony, Hope and Healing


This week's edition of Religion & Ethics Newsweekly features the story of Harmony, Hope and Healing, a Chicago-area project that forms choirs made up of homeless women who are rebuilding their lives. Read and/or watch here.

A quote from Cherisse Ellis, a singer in one of the choirs: "When I'm singing I feel that everything is right in my spirit, in my world."

Here's a Q&A with Marge Nykaza, the founder of the program.

Recently, I've enjoyed listening to I Will Ever Sing Your Praise, a CD recorded by men living in Hope House, a home provided by Chicago's Lawndale Community Church for men who've given their lives to Christ after struggles with drug abuse or crime. For me, knowing that the music is sung by people who have struggled for every word of their testimonies makes it so very powerful.

Image Credit: harmonyhopeandhealing.org

No comments: